A série Game of Thrones foi lançada pela HBO em 2011, e em 2014 já era sucesso absoluto. O primeiro episódio da oitava temporada estava sendo esperado com muita ansiedade e, enfim, foi ao ar no último dia 14.
Então, para treinar seu vocabulário em inglês, vamos ver algumas citações de personagens da série?
1. “Leave one wolf alive and the sheep are never safe” – Arya Stark as Walder Frey
Under the mask of Walder Frey, Arya (15) poisons the Frey men who were at the Red Wedding and assisted in the killing of her family.
2. “You wish to know where my true loyalties (2) lie? Not with any king or queen, but with the people. The people who suffer under despots and prosper under just rule, the people whose hearts you aim to win” – Lord Varys
Varys’ epic quote when Dany is questioning his loyalty that repeats his sentiment from the first season that he does truly serve the (13) realm.
3. “Oh I doubt that. Give us common folk one taste of power and we’re like the lion who tasted man – nothing is ever so sweet again” – Lord Varys
Varys and Melisandre, two people who have risen from the (4) depths of depravity to sit shoulder to shoulder with the greatest monarchs in the land, talk while (11) gazing down at Jon arriving in Dragonstone. Melisandre tries to tell Varys that her time (6) whispering in the ears of king is over but, as a common person who’s tasted power himself, he tells her that he doubts this.
4. “I have been sold like a broodmare. I’ve been chained and (9) betrayed, raped and defiled. Do you know what kept me standing through all those years in exile? Faith. Not in any gods, not in myths and legends, in myself. Daenerys Targaryen”
A very epic speech from Dany as she tells Jon her story that has led her to reclaiming Dragonstone (8) whilst Jon is trying to convince her and Tyrion that the army of the dead is real. Definitely one of her best and most powerful quotes of the series. Truly one of the most epic Game of Thrones Season 7 quotes.
5. “I came down here to (7) brood over my failure to (3) predict the Greyjoy attack. You’re making it difficult; you look a lot better brooding than I do. You make me feel like I’m failing at brooding over failing” – Tyrion Lannister
Tyrion’s clever and funny line when he sees Jon also standing by the cliffs brooding whilst (5) staring into the distance.
6. “They fought together, against their common enemy. Despite their differences, despite their suspicions – together. And we need to do the same if we’re going to survive, because the enemy is real. It’s always been real” – Jon Snow
Jon finds quite the revelation in the caves of Dragonstone that have been harboring obsidian all this time – drawings on the walls from the Children of the Forest (12) depicts White Walkers. He shows them to Dany and tells her how the Children and the First Men fought together against a common enemy, and her and Jon should, too.
7. “But when enough people make false promises words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better (14) lies” – Jon Snow
In an (10) attempt to justify him losing Cersei’s support with the reluctance to tell a lie, Jon says this pretty awesome quote which you do have to believe. But Jon, you should have lied.
8. “You know nothing, Jon Snow.” — Ygritte
This one’s basically now reached meme status, but it also has a (1) poignant edge to it (it’s the last thing Ygritte says to Jon before she dies, after all).
Match the words in red to the right definitions:
|1. Poignant||( ) kill with something destructive or fatal|
|2. Lie||( ) convey false information or image|
|3. Predict||( ) while|
|4. Depth||( ) incisive|
|5. Stare||( ) look steadily with fixed attention|
|6. Whisper||( ) speak softly; say secretly|
|7. Brood||( ) be false or disloyal; deceive|
|8. Whilst||( ) Kingdom|
|9. Betray||( ) think about (something) persistently or moodily|
|10. Attempt||( ) make known in advance|
|11. Gaze||( ) look directly and fixedly|
|12. Depict||( ) describe|
|13. Realm||( ) try, make an effort to achieve|
|14. Lies||( ) be placed|
|15. Poison||( ) low point, level or degree|
Poison – kill with something destructive or fatal
Lie – be placed
Realm – Kingdom
Depth – low point, level or degree
Gaze – look steadily with fixed attention
Whisper – speak softly; say secretly
Betray – be false or disloyal; deceive
Whilst – while
Brood – think about (something) persistently or moodily
Predict – make known in advance
Stare – look directly and fixedly
Depict – describe
Attempt – try, make an effort to achieve
Lie – convey false information or image
Poignant – incisive
Assista ao vídeo de entrevista com Kit Harington e faça uma lista de vocabulário interessante:
As citações foram extraídas desses artigos:
Escrito por Lígia Velozo Crispino e publicado na coluna semanal de inglês da Revista Exame. Editado para o blog da Companhia de Idiomas.
Fundadora e sócia-diretora da Companhia de Idiomas. Graduada em Letras e Tradução pela Unibero. Curso de Business English em Boston pela ELC e extensões na área de Marketing na ESPM, FGV e Insper. Coautora do Guia Corporativo Política de Treinamento para RHs e autora do livro de poemas Fora da Linha. Colunista do portal Vagas Profissões e Revista Exame. Mobilizadora cultural à frente do Sarau Conversar na Livraria Martins Fontes. Quer falar comigo? Meu email é firstname.lastname@example.org e Skype ligiavelozo
Artigos em Destaque